Feature

Consoling the heart of Jesus

Good Friday meditation drawing  When Saint Therese was a little girl she had a prayer card with a painting of Jesus imprisoned in his cell looking at a single flower. This single flower was the source of his consolation. Saint Therese from those moments wished to be that flower providing comfort to our Lord throughout her life.

Easter Symbols

For a Christian like myself, this week is the most significant of all.  It is the reason why things changed for us and the story of our lives took a different turn.

Everything in our lives has meaning now because of God's infinite and boundless love.

If you're wondering what's it all about read on.

The cross is where it all happened.  An innocent man was hung on a tree but he wasn't just any man.  He said "I am" which means He is God.  He said "I have come that you may have life and have it in all its fullness" (John 10:10).  Do you believe Him?

In my college days I thought to myself "what if everything they say wasn't true?  What if He isn't God and it's all just a story?"

I then said "God, if You're real, show yourself to me.  If You're not, I'll be an athiest."

It wasn't an automatic thing.  Neither did thunderous clouds appear before me but He did reveal Himself in powerful and unmistakable ways!  He became my refuge, my strength, my counselor, my joy, my peace, my best friend!  How I wish everyone can know this for themselves as well!

Candles and lights symbolize Jesus Himself, the light of the world.


I've always wondered what the "Maundy" in Maundy Thursday meant.  I've found that "Maundy" is derived from the old french word "mande" from the Latin "mandatum".  Mandatum refers to John 13:34's "A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another, as I have loved you".

On this day, in the mass, the priest washes the feet of others, reminding us of how Jesus taught us to do this for each other.

I never feel more closer to the Jews than on Maundy Thursdays.  This is because as a family we gather around for a Christian Seder meal.

I always look forward to this part of Holy Week because we get reminded of our salvation history and how God was preparing us for Jesus' coming even through what happened in the Old Testament.


The Lamb also represents Jesus who, though sinless, sacrificed Himself to free us from everything hinders us from God's goodness: our sins, past failures, sickness, oppression and every kind of depravity.



You might notice the Lily in the upper right hand corner of my drawing.  It reminds us of Jesus' purity as well as the new life we have in Christ (as lilies come out in springtime).  

*The butterfly in my signature is also one of the symbols of Easter.  It's life cycle from caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly reminds us of the story of Jesus' life on earth.


 My prayer is for you to experience the Lord's resurrection in your life in a new way this Holy Week and Easter seasons!

Comments

posts you might like

Show more