Feature

Saint Joseph, Pillar of Families

I didn't use to pray novenas.  I always thought that praying directly to God was better.  But I read this passage from the Bible: "The continual prayer of a just man availeth much." - James 5:16 I thought of the matter more and now I see that novenas are a humble way of praying.  It is asking those closest to Jesus (and holiest) people who walked the earth, to pray for me. This is not a new way of doing things as Moses intervened for the Jews when God wanted to punish them for making a bull with their own hands and started worshipping them. I now think God is pleased whenever I pray a novena.    Since then, I have seen so many SIGNS AND WONDERS in myself and in my circumstances because I prayed a novena.   I credit Saint Joseph for my happy home life and also for helping us with our finances though the best thing for me is the way novenas help us to lead holy lives.  The saints want no applause but rather, they will always draw us closer to God.   Instead of idolizing cel

Bread of Life



Did you know that Jesus' birthplace, Bethlehem means "House of Bread"?


Then Jesus said, “I am the bread that gives life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who believes in me will ever be thirsty. 
John 6:35




The world is certainly hungry.  On the news, you'll find hunger for food, hunger for health, hunger for happiness.  The world is in dire need of material and spiritual bread.


What is this bread that we long for in our daily lives?  


It is said that baking bread is a traditional way of observing religious days such as making hot cross buns during Lent and Good Friday, dyeing eggs red on Greek Easter bread to symbolize Jesus' blood and the Jewish making challah to commemorate the coming of Sabbath.


What does bread mean for me?


Many years ago, I visited Israel.  The thing I remember most from the trip was coming home with a sense of meaning.  I was convicted that all things were created for a purpose - not just each person and each life, but each thing - a rock, a pebble, a grain of sand.


That same truth is found in the Bible - every chapter, every sentence, every word is rich with meaning and purpose.  That is why for centuries, scholars have been debating upon the meaning of Jesus' words that He is the BREAD OF LIFE.


Bread appears as manna to the Israelites.  Unleavened bread was taken during fleeing from Egypt. It saves them from certain death from starvation.  Bread was multiplied for the thousands.


"Terumah" (heave offering) is often mentioned in the Bible - signifying bread as something that is set apart for God.  Though bread is quite commonplace then and now, this bread was something special - sometimes only the priests could eat.  


Just like bread, Jesus was a man who breathed, talked, walked and looked like a man.  But He was no ordinary man!  His life was an offering for the salvation of the world and He was fully man and fully God!  Pretty mind-blowing huh?



Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.  - John 6:51



Today at mass I received Christ in the Eucharist.  As my hands touched the precious Host, I asked the Lord to use my hands for His glory.  As I opened my mouth and touched the Eucharist, I asked the Lord to use my tongue as an instrument for His glory.  How many of us believe that this is His true flesh?  


Many believe that this is merely a symbol.  They say that Jesus meant feasting on His Word instead of eating a piece of bread.  Sometimes people say that Christ is not present because a sick person does not get healed from consuming it.  I think that Jesus promised eternal life for all who received His body and blood, not physical healing from all our worldly ills.


Whatever you believe, Jesus' words remain.  It is for each of us to decide.  As for me, I believe.  

Comments

posts you might like

Show more