Feature

Saint Joseph, Pillar of Families

I didn't use to pray novenas.  I always thought that praying directly to God was better.  But I read this passage from the Bible: "The continual prayer of a just man availeth much." - James 5:16 I thought of the matter more and now I see that novenas are a humble way of praying.  It is asking those closest to Jesus (and holiest) people who walked the earth, to pray for me. This is not a new way of doing things as Moses intervened for the Jews when God wanted to punish them for making a bull with their own hands and started worshipping them. I now think God is pleased whenever I pray a novena.    Since then, I have seen so many SIGNS AND WONDERS in myself and in my circumstances because I prayed a novena.   I credit Saint Joseph for my happy home life and also for helping us with our finances though the best thing for me is the way novenas help us to lead holy lives.  The saints want no applause but rather, they will always draw us closer to God.   Instead of idolizing cel

Instructions for Blessings



Psalm 1 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.  Everyone wants to be blessed so God gave us the strategy!

Here is the whole chapter.


Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does, prospers.

Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.



So this is just 6 verses but it packs a lot of punch.  There are only 2 verses on the To-do list but 4 are all promises!


Step 1:  Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.

When we need advice, who do we approach?  Do we look for someone who is always thinking of the easiest way out?  Do we listen to those whose advice always leads us to our detriment?  We should go to people who are wise in God's ways, rather than wise in the world's ways.

Do we find ourselves mocking people every day?  Do we even think judgmental thoughts about how they dress, how they talk, their personalities... that they irritate us so much or make us just squirm with uugghhhness?  We better watch it if so.  The seat of mockers is not the place to be.


Step 2: But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night.


I certainly lack in this respect.  I often think about designs and products when I wake up in the middle of the night.  If I have something troubling in my thoughts, it will occupy time there as well.  I need to focus on God's laws.  

I think that doing the rosary is one of the best (if not the best) forms of meditation.  It is journeying with Jesus in His earthly life - whether it was the joyful, glorious, luminous or sorrowful (gulp) times of His life.  I need to do the rosary more.  Padre Pio did around 14 rosaries a day!!!



Promises:

If we do the steps above, God says that we will be like a fruitful tree that never wilts and never withers.  In my mind's eye that is pure bliss.  There is so much I want to do in this life and 24 hours a day does not seem to fit it all in!  Fruitfulness is something I want so very much!  I want to be able to face God at the end of my life and be able to offer a full life back to Him.  Full of love, acts of praise, acts of service and with a full faith!

I have done things my own way and believe me, they do not work!  In fact, they suck!  With God, indeed, whatever we do, prospers - especially in the light of eternity.

Wouldn't it be neat if God watched over us every day?  Well He does!  More so if you are a righteous person.  He guides our paths to evergreen pastures and we will walk in the light of life.  


May we journey the Psalm 1 way and experience blessings today!


Comments

posts you might like

Show more