Feature

Saint Joseph, Pillar of Families

I didn't use to pray novenas.  I always thought that praying directly to God was better.  But I read this passage from the Bible: "The continual prayer of a just man availeth much." - James 5:16 I thought of the matter more and now I see that novenas are a humble way of praying.  It is asking those closest to Jesus (and holiest) people who walked the earth, to pray for me. This is not a new way of doing things as Moses intervened for the Jews when God wanted to punish them for making a bull with their own hands and started worshipping them. I now think God is pleased whenever I pray a novena.    Since then, I have seen so many SIGNS AND WONDERS in myself and in my circumstances because I prayed a novena.   I credit Saint Joseph for my happy home life and also for helping us with our finances though the best thing for me is the way novenas help us to lead holy lives.  The saints want no applause but rather, they will always draw us closer to God.   Instead of idolizing cel

The Highest Mountain


Have you ever climbed a mountain? Amazingly, I have. With my small feet and slow stride, I was able to reach (half-consciously), the top of the highest mountain in Southeast Asia (between the Himalayas and New Guinea).

Getting there was hard. I did not get there by walking to the top. It took a long time to prepare for the trip. Everyday, I put a load of heavy books on my backpack and went up and down the 3 flights of stairs at our office building.

When I was young I looked at my elders with amazement. They loved God and walked in His ways but it looked hard. I didn’t want to do that. But I thought to myself, I will just love God when I am old. I will give my life to the Lord in my senior years. I am glad that God did not agree with that plan.

Doing that is like climbing the mountain without training. I doubt if you would get there.

“... work out your salvation with fear and trembling” Philippians 2:12

A lot of people today assume they are going to heaven. It is everyone’s hope. But how much of us work to get there? I know, we say that, by faith we are saved. But what about “faith without works is dead”? (James 2:14)

Some popular preachers I know say that it is possible that there is no one in hell. No one likes pastors and priests who talk about hell, but Jesus, the best preacher said,

“Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy,  that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.” (Matthew 7:13)

It’s not supposed to be easy. Are we ready? Are our hands without sin and are our hearts clean? I know mine are not. Do I desire not what is vain? I am sure I do.

Even though it sounds like a heavy task, Jesus took it all upon Himself already. He climbed the highest mountain in our behalf, put a rope and started pulling us up. The sooner we train for heaven, the easier and more blissful the climb is.

Comments

posts you might like

Show more