Feature

📣 Miscellaneous FREEBIES 🔥

Hey there! Through the years I've designed some FREEBIES for papemelroti that I know you will all enjoy.  Here are some links that I have compiled. see FREEBIE see  FREEBIE see  FREEBIE see  FREEBIE see  FREEBIE see  FREEBIE

Antidote to Depression



It is normal to be sad but to be depressed is another thing.

They say that if you are unable to enjoy the things that normally delight you, do not want to get out of bed in the morning, do not want to talk to people and wish to be alone all the time, you could be in this dark place called depression.

If you are, know that you are not alone.  In 2017 the World Health Organization reported that 300 million people were suffering this condition.  It is the leading cause of disability worldwide.  

A U.S. study reported a whopping 33% rise in the number of people suffering with depression and anxiety since 2013.  With depression though, misery does not love company.  The fact that a lot of people are isolated inside a torturous mental cage does not really help. 

With the advancements in science, technology, medicine, and with all the information at our fingertips, why is this ailing our society?  

When my father was on his death bed, a thousand miles away, it was one of the most anxious times in my life.  I think that I dipped into depression.  Life was bleak and my usual positivity was nowhere in sight.  My faith in God was there and it was the only anchor I had but it was truly being tested.  Peace and comfort was scarce and my usual enthusiasm was gone.  I could not just snap out of it.  My brain was in a foggy abyss and I found it so very hard to work.  I became forgetful, worrisome and sleep was my escape.  I could only think of my Dad.

At the time, I stumbled upon St. Thomas Aquinas' 5 remedies to sadness.  This is my interpretation of Summa Theologiae, I–II, q. 38.

1.  Treat yourself.   
2.  It is okay to cry.
3.  Tell a good friend about what you are going through.
4.  Think about the Truth.  I think this means the Good News!
5.  Take a bath and sleep.

Pretty simple but packed with wisdom!

For me, depression came and went according to circumstances in my life.  My dad's peaceful passing gave me comfort knowing he was not tied to a bed anymore and that he had graduated this life (with honors, to my thinking).

Deep depression is not marked by life situations but is characterised by an overwhelming, all-encompassing mindset that does not leave even when the difficult situations do.

As a Catholic, and as Catholics believe, every suffering has an eternal weight in gold and has purpose when it is offered up.  Depression, like any other sickness, is suffering.  When we go through suffering, it can feel like God has abandoned us (if we believe in Him) even at this time, when He is closest to us.

When you go through hardship, offer it up.  Make it a prayer.  Jesus, God became man to share in our humanity.  He went through a kind of depression when He said, "My God, my God, why have You abandoned me?" We are sons and daughters of God and we are called to be like Him.  Out of His great love for us, He died on the cross to cleanse us of all our sin.  His suffering was our salvation.

Why did God hear the prayers of repentance by the people in Nineveh when Jonah preached to them?  It is because they chose to do acts of reparation for their sins.  These acts are seen by God and we can use suffering in the same way.  We ask the Lord for His pardon for our sins or we ask that what we are experiencing be offered up for someone we are praying for.

We live in a time where the "nones" are increasing (those who count themselves as non-believers), and you see everyone's head tilted towards their iphones and laptops - the levels of anxiety, depression, and suicide is dramatically rising up as well.

We are made of body and soul.  The body dies but our soul does not  - so our souls or our spirit is stronger than the body.  Once we have healed our spirit, we must also try to heal our bodies.

I discovered something very important when I was beset with all kinds of illnesses from a young age.  From Graves disease, asthma, severe acne, and more - all of these were healed through unconventional ways.

Since this post is getting too long, I will just share about my latest "experiment".  For some years now I have been using food as medicine.  I was having trouble with my memory and making a lot of mistakes at work that I knew something was wrong with my brain.

After reading and researching on brain food and eating everything on the list, I was still having problems so I read a lot more.  I discovered that eating bad food had stronger effects than eating good food.  I did not know that eating cheese almost every day was harming my brain.  Cheese and all dairy have trans fat and if you exceed a certain amount everyday, you could end up having Alzheimer's.

Yes I know I have been silly.  I have been eating similar food every day, namely, cheese - limiting my nutrients and building up an excess of what that food had.  

So I stopped eating cheese altogether.  In 2 months, I noticed that my memory had improved.   I surprised myself in remembering more words of the language I have been studying, tasks and waking up earlier.  I started waking up at 4am, 5am everyday (with full energy).  I started my day earlier and became more productive.  My overall positivity was tripled and I made less errors at work.  Hallelujah!

Our mental health is something that we should take care of.  God wants fullness of life for us.   The quality of our mental health will determine the quality of our relationships with those around us.  We want to love to the fullest of our capabilities but we will be hindered by anxiety and depression if we let these impede us.  Can we overcome?  Yes we can!  "We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."  Romans 8:37 

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.  Let all men know your forbearance. The Lord is at hand.  Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do; and the God of peace will be with you."

- Philippians 4:4




Want more inspiration and DIY, visit the blog parties I joined!



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this very important article at Create With Joy!
    Found it particularly interesting that eliminating cheese from your diet helped improve your memory! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I find it amazing as well. I am much more reliable now (haha!) Thanks for the visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I hope you enjoy your time browsing this page. 🥰

posts you might like

Show more