Feature

Saint Joseph, Pillar of Families

I didn't use to pray novenas.  I always thought that praying directly to God was better.  But I read this passage from the Bible: "The continual prayer of a just man availeth much." - James 5:16 I thought of the matter more and now I see that novenas are a humble way of praying.  It is asking those closest to Jesus (and holiest) people who walked the earth, to pray for me. This is not a new way of doing things as Moses intervened for the Jews when God wanted to punish them for making a bull with their own hands and started worshipping them. I now think God is pleased whenever I pray a novena.    Since then, I have seen so many SIGNS AND WONDERS in myself and in my circumstances because I prayed a novena.   I credit Saint Joseph for my happy home life and also for helping us with our finances though the best thing for me is the way novenas help us to lead holy lives.  The saints want no applause but rather, they will always draw us closer to God.   Instead of idolizing cel

In Everything Give Thanks 🤗



One day, many years ago, while I was driving home from work, a thought hit me.  I thought of my Dad passing away.  Suddenly my eyes clouded with tears and it got hard to drive. 

My dad was healthy at the time and it did not seem like it was going to happen soon, but I thought to myself, how can I cope when the time came?  I could not even think about it without bursting into tears. 

Dad was one of my best friends.  My mom (my other best friend) had passed away and it was usually only my Dad and I at the dinner table.  We were best buds.  I would watch war movies with him and he would say, "Sorry kid, there's no girl."  He was the best person to tickle since he had a hard time getting away!  I was never afraid of him.  Even when I was a little girl, he would "fake spank" me when I misbehaved and it would seem like a gentle tap on my backside.  He was always a friend to me and someone I could go to and talk about absolutely anything.

So it was unthinkable at the time.

But when he died this earlier this year, there was a peace and a calm that was palpable.  It was time for him to go and I knew that in time, I would see him again, on the other side.

Two days ago, my cat Midnight died (peacefully) as well.  He was also one of my best friends.  He was a cat, I know, but he was a source of joy for me every day.   I could not imagine him gone because he always seemed to dodge death.  I have countless stories of him choosing his name, listening to my sermons not to go the neighbor's house to terrorise their cat, obeying my instructions when we went to the vet, etc.

When he did die, I again felt God's consoling peace, the "peace that passes beyond all understanding".  Over and over again, I thought, "Thank You Lord for Midnight's life.  Thank You for his peaceful passing.  He did not suffer.  Thank You God for the many times You did spare his life (from that evil dog who almost chomped down on him, from his serious illness when he was younger etc. etc.)  In everything, I (indeed) can give thanks."

It is an amazing thing to be able to accept the death of a loved one.  It was the exact same thing that happened when my mom died.  Whether you believe in God or not, He is the source of all peace, mercy, compassion and eternal life. 

We can give thanks, even in the deepest, darkest, loneliest, most confusing and painful times of our lives.   He can give us joy in our most trying moments.  Thank You Lord!

Comments

posts you might like

Show more