Feature

Consoling the heart of Jesus

Good Friday meditation drawing  When Saint Therese was a little girl she had a prayer card with a painting of Jesus imprisoned in his cell looking at a single flower. This single flower was the source of his consolation. Saint Therese from those moments wished to be that flower providing comfort to our Lord throughout her life.

Family is Forever

My sister Patsy's newsletter on the opening of KORBEN, the first papemelroti shop
SOURCE: papemelroti


Yesterday, October 13 was all abuzz with greetings and congratulatory remarks!  It was the 55th year of our family business papemelroti!

Though a day late, I would still want to say a few things about this special day.



papemelroti then (Ali Mall, Cubao)
SOURCE: papemelroti



papemelroti now
SOURCE: papemelroti


Ever since I could remember, I have been working at papemelroti.  As soon as I could hold a brush I started painting what we called "egg heads".  These were little wooden egg-shaped characters holding up little signboards with sweet sayings.  I would think of what to write and do the lettering for each of the eggheads by myself.  I was paid 1 peso each for every piece I finished.


At age 7, the family was very busy at our first store branch in Ali Mall (the first-ever mall in the Philippines).  We had a shop on the second floor and all of us had a role to play.  My job was to wrap gifts.  I was so little then so I had to wrap the gifts on the floor.  My little hand would pop up, grab a sold item, wrap it on the floor and then return it back to the store counter.  I think all of our customers were angels as not a single one of them complained about my shoddy work!


At the end of the day, we would get paid and I would do a sprint all around the mall looking for Christmas gifts for my family.  It was quite a challenge because, at that time, the shops would be closing and would be all out of the best stock!  But it was the thrill of actually earning something, no matter how small, and buying something for my loved ones that spur me on.


Working with the family was fun and gave us an unbreakable bond that has lasted until today.  I can never be grateful enough for the times we all had together getting creative, chatting and sharing ideas.  I have learned the value of work from an early age and how fulfilling it can be!  For this I thank my family!  Family is forever and a gift from above!

As a commemoration to all families, I designed the You, Me and Family Collection which is a set of people (and pets) with different personal characteristics.  You can choose which character to add to your own customized set.





Thank you for featuring this collection in the When in Manila site!  It was one of the suggested ways to decorate for Christmas!  You can read the article here.


If you want your very own family portrait done, you can see the many options available at papemelroti.com







Comments

posts you might like

Show more